Pages

Friday, September 25, 2015

AMAZING SELFIES ON INSTAGRAM, A MYSTICAL DIY EASEL, AND I ONLY CARE ABOUT PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES AND LIKE 3 PEOPLE

I was working on a pretty sick construction project yesterday ya'lls. I challenged myself to build a new easel, and I like to think it was a surprising success.

But first I want to say something. My art account on instagram (@poshpaint) follows a lot of totally random people. To show my sense of community, I will follow back most of the people that follow me (at least until they post something so dumb or spammy that I am forced to unfollow them). But in having so many people that I follow, I do see a lot of really random stuff show up on my home feed.

Ok, anyways.

Every time I see a mom post an amazing selfie on instagram, I have to remind myself that most likely A TON of prep work went into making it look so flawless and effortless. Or at least I have to tell myself that to make myself feel better.  She probably took 700 photos, spent hours on her hair and makeup, the photo she posted was most likely the best of 100 other retakes on her phone before she just hired a professional, she had a nanny to get the kids to behave, and so on. Well, like I said, at least that's what I have to tell myself when I need to feel better about day three of not showering and the dishes in the sink are piling up.

Instagram can be such an inspiration, and such a source of self loathing and curling up into a tiny ball in the closet to not exist for just a little while.

It's hard enough for me to take time out of my day while Q is napping, just to work on my art.  Which is why I was SUPER DUPER impressed with my time management skills when I built an easel during his nap yesterday. Yes, an entire easel. I know.

I had the wild idea that I needed a new easel. And I also wanted to make it myself. I had a bunch of lumber scraps, and my trusty power tools, so I though what the heck why not.  I like a good challenge. I drew a rough sketch of what I had in mind, and went to town.

A bunch of mystical shit happened, and 2 hours later, I wasn't entirely sure how I even ended up with what I had made. All I know is I was on a mission. I wish I could recap the steps for you, showing you step by step how to DIY your own easel (if you're into that kind of thing), but I really can't. I literally have no recollection of the efforts that went into it after measuring out the lengths of the pieces.

Behold. My new easel:

I know there is a random tomato planter there. Mental note to move that.
It has hinges, wheels, a minibar, the whole shebang. All in all pretty shocked it turned out the way I wanted. 

Not to get all braggy about my unusual/new found time management skills, but I also finished a new piece last night too.  I know. I need to spend all this new extra time on my hands showering and cleaning up my house before guests come in tonight (my mom and sis are coming in from Illinois).

So this piece is only 16 x 20 (which is small for what I normally do), but I wanted to have some smaller pieces to take over to the gallery for the weekend.

Wanna know what it's called?!?

"I only care about pumpkin spice lattes and like 3 people." Duh. because it's fall and all.



"I only care about pumpkin spice lattes and like 3 people"
16x20 inches
acrylic, glitter, gold leaf, epoxy resin on canvas
$432.00 

And for all you moms out there: OMIGOD THIS WHOLE CHILD REARING THING IS INSANE. How's it going for you? Any tips? I could use a few right now...

Peace out and happy Fri-yay!






No comments:

Post a Comment